Skip to main content

On dolls and scales and magazines....

One of the focuses of my business is dollhouse miniatures.... to answer the questions on scale you have several scales that are popular or gaining popularity.

1" or 1/12 scale is the most common with tons of Yahoogroups for it and other online forums including Small Stuff Digest which is where I got my start... large international list for nothing but miniatures (not just 1" scale tho)

1/2" or 1/24 scale is smaller and has gained popularity in the last couple years as the 1" scale people run out of space for minis This is a niche market that has a growing base... not saying 1" scale is on it's way out just that 1/2" is growing in popularity due to the main body of crafters being retired or *my* elders (I'm not yet 30) and on space and money budgets that are shrinking.

1/4 scale is also popular but I'm not up on it much but I can say it is extremely tiny ... if you've ever seen the original 80's Poly Pockets those come close to the correct scale or a Z scale train is right. This is considered a dollhouse scale for inside a 1" dollhouse!

On the larger end of the scale is 1/6 scale which is Barbie and the number of adult collectors wishing there were more things for her that weren't Barbie Pink has a huge base. Then there's the Tonner and larger 15-18" fashion dolls that would dearly love more items including houses and such for their dolls.

As for places to learn about miniatures or dolls.....Ashdown Inc produces Doll Magazine (I'm a correspondent....Pattern columnist- unpaid except for exposure), and American Miniaturist (used to subscribe and adored it but budget had to give somewhere)

Jones Publishing and Scott Publications produce Doll Crafter, Miniature Collector, Dolls, Doll Costuming and a whole host of other magazines that deal with various subjects within the doll or miniature world. (Don't ask me which publishing company publishes which I just know that those are the 3 big magazine producers)

I've been into dolls since 1988 when my mom started her doll business. I have been seriously into collector dolls and miniatures for about the last 2 years.

I should also add in something about reborns, repainters and art dolls... there are lots of those out there too who redo, repaint or sculpt their own dolls that need and use props... you might just have a niche in one of these catagories.

Sue

www.suestinycostumes.com
Miniature & Small Doll Clothing Patterns, Books & Classes! Check the Specials page for Sales!
Reclaim Your Inbox! http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Years Goals… notice not resolutions?

I plan on updating and posting to this site far more often especially on days when things are going right… on days when things go wrong I’ll probably post that to my Lessons Learned in Business blog. In fact I plan on having several blogs about projects, different dolls and things learned about them like Ken… I have an old Ken (duplicate of one I had as a child, a newer Ken (again a duplicate of the Depp Ken I had as a teen) and then there’s the Jude Deveraux Ken I just recently bought…there’s a lot of differences in the bodies… wouldn’t think it since hey it’s Ken and he’s not the big seller Barbie is! But hey I’ve got to learn about dolls by playing… errr working with them if I’m going to draft and dress them. Anyway my current goals at the moment are to teach the 101 Mini Drafting class in early January. Teach 102 after the move (from an apt to hopefully a house at the end of January) in late February. Then start development and testing of my 103, 104 and 105 classes for Marc

New ideas

Well I have many new ideas and a couple new dolls I'm currently going to be playing with. I bought Tika a Flava who has an unsual body. I knew humans had fit problems but this doll definitely has them. She bends and moves just under the bust making her great for poses that are different from standard Barbies but she also has an "S" curve torso that gives her a long side and a short side along with a high hip and a low hip that are drastically different. Bearing that in mind I plan to use her as a guinea pig in my Pattern Drafting for Lady Dolls 101 class shortly when I start the lessons over in a couple weeks. As for styles for this doll I'm thinking a lot of asymetrical items might be what she needs or some nice tummy show off items ... crop tops and hip huggers.... perhaps a hip hugging skirt that flares at the bottom about knee length out of a mock denim (theres a fat quarter blue that looks a lot like denim that'd be perfect!) I'm also thinking a crop top